Monday, March 28, 2011

Mini Rant: Teaching License Renewal

I dare you to look at this website and tell me how helpful it is in giving instructions on how to renew your license:  http://nvteachers.doe.nv.gov/default.htm.  I find it unhelpful.
I have my Nevada Teaching License, but it expires in August of this year.  In order to renew it, I need to have completed the provisions on the back of my license and submit necessary forms and $80 (<---lame).  I'm all about figuring out how to do this on my own and I feel that I'm a fairly competent person, but the Nevada Dept. of Education website is SO confusing and unhelpful.  To remove the provisions on my license I had to take a series of tests and be fingerprinted, which I did.  I spent way too long trying to figure out where I could see if these provisions were removed to make sure the paperwork/results came through but could not find on the website where the heck to view my license!  I called the dept. of Ed. and after going through what seemed like a 5-minute automated phone system, found out that I need to click on the little link that says "Find a Teacher" in an obscure part of the site that's not in any of the dozens of lists anywhere else. Why can't it say, "View your license."  (I didn't need to be found, I know exactly where I am.)  Dumb wording.  Anyway, the renewal application that needs to be sent in has a section about completing credits and submitting transcripts, so since I'm renewing, I assumed this applied to me.  I have taken some classes and have some credits, so I was planning on submitting them, but it's a good thing I didn't!  I talked to someone from the licensing dept. and she said that if I submitted them, they wouldn't count towards the credits I would need for the next time I apply, which is also kinda dumb.  THEN I looked at my license and the only provision I have un-cleared is my fingerprints.  What?!  I had those done in August of 2008 in Reno and January of 2011 in Las Vegas.  They had to be cleared in order for me to work in a classroom.  What the heck?  So, of course, I was re-directed to someone and left a message for her and will hopefully get this all cleared up soon.

Bottom line, our entire education system needs a major makeover.  Any volunteers?

No comments:

Post a Comment