Wednesday, October 12, 2011

There's a First and (Hopefully Only) Time for Everything

I lost Ty in a store today.  There--I said it.  I feel awful about it, but we're all okay now, safe and sound at home.  We went into Anna's Linens so I could return a pillow that I should not have purchased in the first place.  Anyway, the store is pretty small (and inconsequentially, lame) and carpeted so we went in without a cart.  I was just going to do a quick once-around through the store to make sure that there wasn't anything fabulous that we needed.  Ty saw something he needed and bee-lined straight for them: pillow pets.  He's never seen a commercial for the things, but he was a fan of the brightly-colored animals on a shelf from floor to...up high.  I let him walk over to the stuffed bed animals and play with one (he picked out a dog and pig) and I checked across an aisle--literally 10 feet away.  There wasn't anyone around/in the store that I saw, so I really thought nothing of it.  5 seconds later, I go back to Ty and he wasn't in sight.  I freaked out inside a little bit.  Russell'd probably be mad if I lost our firstborn.  It took me about 20 seconds to find him, which seemed quite long, and he was just crawling on the floor next to a bunch of sheets.  I scooped him up and we headed out.  I feel really bad about the experience and hope that we never have another situation like this.  Now that I've confessed by blog, I feel better.  I'm adding to Ty's Christmas list a backpack leash.  Ya know--the one's that look kinda like a pillow pet.  ;)

1 comment:

  1. My mom left me in a Safeway parking lot when I was a kid and I turned out okay. I'm pretty sure everyone loses their kid at least once.

    ReplyDelete