Sunday, April 22, 2012

Recipe Invention!

A week or 2 ago I bought some egg roll wrappers at the store because I remembered seeing a recipe I wanted to use them for.  Of course, by the time I bought them I have no idea what that recipe was.  So, last night Russell and I made up our own!  We decided we can count this as one of the 51 new recipes I'm going to make this year.  (Side note: I have no idea how far into that I am because I haven't been keeping track!  Hopefully it won't be too hard to go back over the last 4 months and remember them...)  Anyway, here's what we came up with with the stuff we had already:

  -1 can shredded beef (from Costco, kind of nice to have beef ready to use in stuff!)
  -1/2 c. sour cream
  -1 c. corn (fresh would have been better, but we used frozen)
  -1 small can diced green chiles (4 oz. I think?)
  -1 avocado (although we both decided we could have used a little more avocado, less sour cream)
  -cilantro
  -cumin
  -cayenne pepper
  -12-15 egg roll wrappers
  -oil for frying  (we want to try baking them next time, but already had oil out from corn dogs we made 2 days before)
  -nacho cheese (for dipping; I think they would be great with some cilantro-ranch sauce/dressing)

Heat oil in a skillet, enough so that it's about 1/2"-1" in the pan.  Blend the avocado, cilantro, green onions, and sour cream together in the Magic Bullet.  Pour that in a bowl with corn, green chiles, and beef and mix well together.  Add cayenne and cumin to preferred taste.  Watch a youtube video on how to wrap egg rolls, just to make sure you're about to do it right.  Wrap up some (?) filling in the egg roll wrappers.  Test oil with a piece of egg roll wrapper to make sure it's not too hot.  If it burns real fast, it's probably too hot...duh.  Carefully place egg rolls in oil, flip after they look golden brown, and let them drain on paper towels on a plate.  Eat them dipped in nacho cheese or some other southwestern-inspired sauce of your choice.

You are SO welcome for this recipe--happy non-traditional egg roll eating!

(No pictures with this one...too bad.)

P.S. I think they tasted extra good because Russell helped make them, too.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment