Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Ah, Parenting.

Ty was just crying at the top of the stairs for more water in his water bottle instead of going to bed.  It started out as a loud whisper to get our attention (he knows we're down here...), and I "shushed" up to him to go to bed; he'd had enough to drink at dinner time, we didn't want him to pee in his bed, and he would be fine.  He eventually escalated into sobbing "Mommy! Daddy! I need your help!" Finally, I went up to him at the top of the stairs.  With tears and snot streaming down his face, he managed to get out, "I'm...having...a...rough...day."  :( I don't think it was about the water anymore.  He needed a big hug.  We snuggled for a bit before going into his room.  I brought Baby Coleman (a plastic doll that Lila got for Christmas from my grandparents, to whom Ty has given a name and become "Daddy Ty-Ty") up for Ty to bring in bed with him.  As I was laying him down, I realized his pants were wet--he already had peed out!  He told me, though, "I need help to go to sleep."  Again, sad and sweet.  I changed his pants and diaper, then went and got a special surprise.  Close to 2 months ago, we bought a Ninja Turtle CD player for him with the intention of giving to him for Christmas.  I kinda changed my mind about it, though, and it was still sitting in our garage.  After I obtained the Children's Primary Songbook CD set, Russell and I went up to Ty's room.  He had tucked Coleman (I don't know where he got that name...for a baby girl, no less) under the blanket with him and was laying quietly, still awake.  Russell and I explained to him that we were giving him the CD player because he is now in Primary* as a "Sunbean," so we wanted him to listen to the Primary songs in his room at night.  Russell also added we were giving it to him because we love him, which is true.  We put in the first CD and cuddled around our little boy as "I Am a Child of God" played:

I am a child of God and He has sent me here,
Has given me an earthly home with parents, kind and dear.
Lead me, guide me, walk beside me, help me find the way.  
Teach me all that I must do to live with Him someday.

I am a child of God and so my needs are great.
Help me to understand His words before it grows too late.
Lead me, guide me, walk beside me, help me find the way.  
Teach me all that I must do to live with Him someday. 

I am a child of God.  Rich blessing are in store.
If I but learn to do His will, I'll live with Him once more.
Lead me, guide me, walk beside me, help me find the way.  
Teach me all that I must do to live with Him someday.

Not only do the lyrics of the song remind us that that we are children of our Heavenly Father, but that as parents, we have a special responsibility and privilege. I'm grateful that I did eventually go up and help Ty instead of just letting him cry it out, because it turned into a sweet experience, probably for both of us. I need reminders like tonight so that I can be a better, more patient parent.  Sometimes I feel bad for Ty when I get mad at him for being whiny/loud/tackling his sisters (no, I don't feel bad for that last one...) when really all he needs is some acknowledgement and playtime with me.  Maybe someday Russell and I will figure this parent thing out.  That'll probably be when we're with Ty's kids. ;)

*Ty now gets to go to the Sunbeams Primary Sunday School class instead of Nursery because it's the start of the new year when he'll be turning 4. Less like daycare, more like Sunday school!  I'm excited for him.  So far, he likes it and we have reports from his teachers that he's a good singer.  (Yes!)

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for great examples of taking in and appreciating the moment. I feel like I am working on that everyday with my students and still don't get it all the time. It's been too long since we've talked. You guys look great! Congrats on Russell's graduation! Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete