Friday, September 17, 2010

Is this for real?

I suppose I should be napping because Ty's asleep, but I'm not really tired right now. Why? Well, last night Ty fell asleep and I put him down at 10:00 p.m. He woke up at (drum roll, please) 6:45 a.m.! I didn't go to bed until about 10:30, but that's crazy--8 hours?! He slept for 8 hours the night before, too. When he did wake up this morning he was smiling and happy through his diaper change...then he remembered he was hungry and started crying. If this is going to be consistent, that's fine with me. I'll happily take the wee morning hours back and admit that my teeny tiny baby is just a little baby now. A few other things have made me realize this kid is growing up:

-He doesn't fit the things he used to. This should be a "duh," but look at how he lost his limbs in the extra folds of fabric as a 5-day old guy and now, as a 7-week-old, he can't straighten his legs!

-Clothes in the closet that I think "oh, I'll just see how big this is on him" fit perfectly. If I'm not careful, he'll outgrow some outfits before he even wears them! Exhibit A:

-He looks at and talks to toys. Last night after I put him down and as I was getting ready for bed, Ty was talking to the little elephant toy things above his head. :)
-He also kicks excitedly when playing with toys. We have some plastic keys hanging close to him from the shelf above the changing table and he swats at them while he's getting his diaper change, which makes for a good distraction, but not for trying to clean him up/get a diaper on! He sometimes gets a little mad when I hold his legs because he can't kick them all over.

-Ty's a lot less floppy, especially in the neck region. It's been nice when he's over my shoulder or in his car seat.
-He just about fills up the boppy pillow and will push with his legs and start to go over the edge. I don't think we have a short kid here.
-He smiles lots and seems a whole lot more on purpose. Love this. His smiles are better to record on video than to photograph, because they grow and move all over. Here's the progression of a Ty smile:-He's finding his hands, and apparently, his thumb.
-He really doesn't mind a bath so long as I keep a warm washcloth on his tummy and we move quickly to the towel.

Anyway, we like this kid. Keep up the good sleeping/growing, Ty-Dye!

3 comments:

  1. Yay! How fun! He's so cute! Oh, and yes, definitely try out clothes before they are "supposed" to fit. I've almost missed chances for Emily to even get to wear something, 'cause I waited a little too long. :)
    I'm sure happy for all of you! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. He's so adorable, with that big grin! And congrats on the long sleep. Ellie didn't really do 8 hours until about 2 months or so when I stopped trying to always rock her to sleep and just let her cry it out. Then she slept like a charm. Still does! Good job, Ty, giving your mom a break.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carolyn he is so handsome!!! I know you are an amazing mom and I love to read your blog. We are also expecting a baby... in March. I hope our baby is as cute and good as yours!!!

    ReplyDelete