Thursday, September 23, 2010

Who's Mama's little sleeper?!

Actually, it's both Russell and Ty, but Russell's sleeping habits aren't incredibly impressive. Right now, because of the lots and lots of studying, they're sad and minimal during the week. He put on his Facebook status that he "misses sleeping." I think many people thought he was referring to the fact that we have a little baby, but I don't think Russell has lost any sleep because of Ty. Luckily, he can sleep right through the crying. I used to be a little jealous, but I'm okay now. The one time I really wished he was awake was the morning Ty was born, but before he was born, when I was confined to the bed, all epiduraled up and bored. (Oh, yeah, and during church... This photo is from last Sunday when, halfway through changing out of his church clothes, Russell couldn't make it any further. He threw a "sleep tantrum" so didn't have to help make lunch: he just fell asleep.)


Anyway, I have been so impressed with Ty's sleeping! He's always been a fairly sleepy baby. He didn't wake up to eat for the first few days of life, which caused a bit of a problem, but has slept for about 4 hours consistently. His stretches of sleep are governed by his eating and many times he'll by crying because he's hungry before he's even awake! (By that, I mean his eyes aren't open.)

We had settled into a bit of a nighttime routine: Ty would wake up at about 3 a.m.-ish and go back to sleep around 4 after eating. He then would wake up around 8 again. Well, dude has been going off of our routine and sleeping for about 8 hours at a time. Boo-ya, grandma! He'll usually go down at about 10:30, sometimes asleep, sometimes just sleepy, and sometimes wide awake. If he's awake, he just waits until he falls asleep or wiggles a bit and talks to the toys above his head. Such a good boy.

Last night he fell asleep on his play mat around 9:30 p.m. and hadn't eaten since 7, so I was pretty sure he'd wake up in the middle of the night and want to eat. Nope! Ty-Ty, the Sleeping Guy slept until 7 a.m.! He ate, played, and is now back asleep for a morning nap. I'm so proud. I need to remember that this might just be a phase and if it is I'll be fine because I never really minded getting up with him. Either way, I'm getting enough sleep and love that Ty is, too so we both can be happy. We're working on helping Russell...

How cute is this?! He grabbed on that little bear and hugged it while he slept.

He was on my lap and sinking in the boppy pillow. Ty must have been saving his energy for the big diaper explosion that shortly followed.

See? Asleep on his play mat.


This morning when I took off the blanket that was over his legs, look what I found! He kicks pretty hard, but I didn't know he kicked hard enough while in his swaddler to un-velcro the bottom and turn himself around 90 degrees from where he started on the "pillow" last night. (We put him on the burp cloth to catch anything that may come out; it's not really a pillow.)

And he's bright-eyed and happy this morning! I'm sensing a bit of a motif here...frogs. :)

1 comment: