Tuesday, September 21, 2010

The Other Gourlie Guy

I try not to have absolutely everything be about the baby, so here's an ode to the king of our castle with a few of my favorite recent Russell incidents.

A) We were at the grocery store on Saturday and I saw some off-brand home run pies (my fam knows what I'm talking about). I was all excited and explained to Russell how my dad used to get a bunch in different flavors and we would have them for FHE/special treats and it was awesome. The most important part of the story was that I told him all about "pick-a-number" which is a little game that my dad would do so that we would get a randomly selected treat. We applied pick-a-number to all kinds of things, not just home run pies. Anyway, I was all excited about these pies because it made me think of fun family memories. Russell generically replied with, "Cool" in a very "I didn't hear a word you just said" type of way. BUT sometimes Russell will remind me of something that I said earlier. Pretty much, I think he only listens to what I don't remember saying. :)

B) Russell's a good cook. Promise. Since he always has tons of homework/studying to do, I've been manning the meal-making, but on Sunday night we were watching a movie together (Surf's Up, which is pretty funny) and Russell graciously offered to make popcorn. Let's recall back a few months when Carolyn was about 3 months pregnant and Russell offered to make popcorn. As I was getting ready for bed, instead of freshly-popped microwave kettle corn, I smelled smoke. Because he read the directions on the package, Russell put the popcorn in for 5 minutes and went back to the couch. This resulted in smoke detectors going off at 10:30 p.m., windows opened in the middle of winter, a microwave permanently burned on the inside, and a smell that lasted for days. Fast forward back to Sunday, and you can see why I was a little hesitant to say, "Yes, please pop us some corn." This time I offered to be Russell's coach. He put the bag in (unwrapped) facing the correct way, and Coach CJ encouraged him to push the "Popcorn" button this time. He did and then went back to the couch. After a couple of minutes:
C: "Do you hear that?"
R: "What?"
C: "The microwave..."
R: "No, it stopped already. So?"
C: "Did you listen for the 3-second pop stop?"
R: "Uhh...no."
So, as Russell brought the full bag of popcorn over upside-down, disregarding the 3 arrows that say "this way up," I realized we're making progress, but we've still got some learning to do. Like I said earlier, he is usually a good cook.

C) When discussing what we were going to have for dinner, I listed the things I didn't want to eat. Russell said, "You sound like that girl on 'Say Yes to the Dress' that couldn't pick a dress, but listed everything she didn't like about them." Thank you, Russell, for quoting the manliest show on Netflix.

D) It's really fun to watch Russell and Ty together. They're gonna be good buds. :)
...And here are some pictures of Ty.

(Studying together...so productive, I'm sure)


I'm lucky that Russell wants to be my husband still. We have lots of fun together and laugh and joke lots. My family has said that Russell is the only one who will laugh at my jokes...probably because I get all my good ones from him. He's the bomb. Love him.


2 comments:

  1. Haha! Your jokes are funny...sometimes! :) So fun to have a new little guy added to the family--hard to believe it's been like 2 months!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Crayons!?! I was just thinking about pick-a-number the other day and how it was so much more fun than just getting whatever it was right away. And, man, every time I pass the home run pies at the store I have to slowly back my cart away. Those things are SOOOO good and they still feel like such a special treat to me. (Although now I can't just burn off all of the calories with a vigorous afternoon of playing barbies...) Someday when your kids are older, Russell will understand (and Hunter too, hopefully) the joy and mystery of pick-a-number.

    ReplyDelete