Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Confession: Bachelor

Although I don't feel awesome admitting it, I've recently seen a couple of episodes of The Bachelor, the reality show where a bunch of women "compete" for the love of one man as he narrows down the field to one woman to whom he proposes marriage.  I find this show mildly enjoyable from an entertainment perspective, but more interesting if you look at it from a social standpoint.  I mean, check it:

1)  It's incredible to me that we as an American cultural society are generally opposed to arranged marriages, however we expect (and force, really) one guy to select a wife from a bunch of potentials chosen by some producers/casting director.  What's the difference? Plus, if he's supposed to find "true love," why does he only have a few weeks to spend narrowing his choices down?  I know some people can fall in love quickly.  It's no wonder lots of these relationships don't work out in the long run.  I realize that matchmaking is an old and successful business, but the matches generally aren't made on national television.  The Bachelor=Arranged Marriage in not-so-great of an environment.

2) The women are SO unrealistic!  If you haven't found love in the 20-30 years you've been alive with all of the guys you've run into before, what makes you think that the one dude your cat-fighting with 20 other girls for is going to be "it?"  He really can't be it for everyone.  Why don't more of the girls leave on their own accord because he's not for them?  Granted, they usually don't choose some ol' bum as The Bachelor and they make him out to be quite a catch, but who wants to keep everything they win?  True story: once I won a rice cooker (okay, my sister Tina did) and although it was an awesome prize, it didn't fit my needs because I already had one.  Bad analogy...I couldn't think of anything else that I won and didn't want...sorry.  Still, Bachelor girls, read my blog and realize that not every girl fits with the same dude.  Duh. 

3) How can you fall in love with someone when you have to share?  "I was so in love with him!"  Right...you and 30 other girls.  Kinda reminds me of a tween's crush on Justin Bieber.  (Way to make national news with your haircut, though, Biebs.)  These ladies are blowing their ideals out of the water.  Get real, girls.  I get that it doesn't take very long for some people to know it's right between them.  Russell and I were dating for only 4 months before we were engaged, but we were only dating each other and were able to communicate with each other.  I think it's bizarro that some girls are expressing their love to the Bachelor guy and they've gone on like 1 date.  Bravo for the Ashley girl saying that she's not sure about the relationship; way to actually think about it. 

And last, but not least:
4) Russell wondered out loud what a Polygamist version of the Bachelor would be like.  I said it would be, "Roses for everyone!" 

So, to all of you "Bachelor" die-hards, sorry if this bursts your "The Bachelor is such a romantic, perfect show" bubble.  Clearly, to me it's not.

4 comments:

  1. I've never seen it, but I read a very funny blog where she sometimes posts her very clever thoughts on it. I think you might enjoy, and relate. Here's her latest http://kasm.blogspot.com/2011/02/abcs-bachelor-its-family-show.html

    PS She's also a Mormon mom in St. George

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never watched the show either, mostly for the reasons you've explained. But I do know someone in my office who was a "contestant" on it once a few years back. She said it was SOOO staged. Everything anyone says is scripted or contrived. Isn't the guy on it this year a return customer from a few years ago? Ya think he'd learn his lesson about "true love" from his first marriage.

    ReplyDelete
  3. HAHAHAHA! I don't follow it at all but I have seen some of the finales and I laugh and laugh at the stupidity of it all. Besides, I read somewhere that most of them don't end up getting married and of those that did actually tie the knot, only one of those couples is still together. I think. That may have changed since I heard it haha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, it's kind of a nutso show. Plus every season is basically exactly the same as the season before. "Oh my gosh, (enter Bachelor's name here), I CAN'T BELIEVE you planned this super cool helicopter date for us to tour the city. How super special and romantic!" (Get real, like he'd ever dream of doing half these dates on his own accord without the network paying for it all.) The girls/guys are always basically all the same.
    And yet, for some reason, still I watch...
    :-)

    ReplyDelete