Friday, June 24, 2011

Dance it out, Baby!

I started taking a dance class back in January at the community center once a week.  I'm glad to be doing it 1) because it counts as a hobby, which makes Russell happy 2) it usually counts as exercise and 3) "I love to dance..." (anyone know the/a reference?*).  Anyway, it isn't too challenging, which I suppose is good, although I would like more critique to improve.  I've long since given up my dreams of professionalism (actually, I don't think I ever had any...), and choose to watch SYTYCD instead of try to be on it, but I do really like dancing and as I've watched in the mirror during class, I've come to the realization that I'm worse than I used to be!  It's sad, really.  I don't go to stake/BYU dances anymore, I haven't taken a real dance class in about 4 years, and when Ty and I dance together, I don't think I'm really using any kind of real dancing.  I need some work!  Few things get me motivated like a performance in front of an audience, so when I heard about the class' culminating dance recital in May, I was excited.  We (the adult class) ended up performing 2 numbers: 1 tap and 1 jazz and I had fun!  I think I danced a little more "full-out" than I should have been, but I was just a little too excited.  Oops.  My lovely supportive family came and watched (Ty was asleep by the end and Russell recorded the dances on his phone), but you all are welcome to come to the next recital in December! 

The theme of the recital was the '60s, in case you couldn't tell.  :)
 My dance crew and I after the show.
*The quote is from "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun" in the beginning when SJP's character, Janie, is introducing herself to the class.  I think of that part every time someone says they love to dance...

2 comments:

  1. When I read the quote I wondered if it was that movie... I wasn't sure since I haven't seen it since freshman year, but what a great movie! Such wonderful memories with you Carolyn!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. how awesome! i love hobbies. if i remember correctly from our dorm days, you are a great dancer!

    sienna

    ReplyDelete