Wednesday, August 31, 2011

I dislike Nevada Teacher Licensing.

Okay, so this is another mini rant that happens to be largely connected to this one that I posted about in MARCH.  Meaning, I tried to get this figured out and cleared up 5 months ago and I still don't have my license renewed.  After I called a few more times and left at least one more phone message, I waited for a reply about how to get my fingerprint provision cleared. (If you have an answering machine, but don't return calls, the least you can do is state that in your voice mail greeting.)  Finally, in July I picked the whole thing back up and decided that I really needed to talk to someone about renewing my license that was to expire on 8/28/2011.  I called, but the NV licensing dept. no longer accepts phone calls.  D-u-m-b.  (Again, why have a phone number if the message on it says, "Email us.")  So, I email them, but after 2 weeks and no response, I decide I need to go into the licensing office.  I go in with my question and wouldn't ya know: the "system is down" so they can't view my license or tell me anything about getting my fingerprints cleared.  I can, however, pay my $80, turn in my form, and wait for an email.  Great, because I already have total faith in their ability to email.  Not.  No emails come and I get a request from a teacher (friend of ours) to sub for his class tomorrow.  I log on to the find-sub-jobs system, but my "personal record contains an expiration date that prevents me from being assigned to any jobs."  I immediately sent an email to the licensing dept. and received an auto response saying that because my license had expired, I now need to submit 6 university/college credits to reapply.  WHAT?!  Shortly thereafter, I packed Ty in the car and we drove to the office to get this figured out.  The good news: because I have my receipt from my $80 fee and application dated before my license expired I'm not required to reapply and submit credits.  (Phew!) The questionable news: they'd look for my fingerprint record because the provision should have been removed 3 years ago.  I received a phone call about 2 hours after leaving the office that they'd found my record and the provision was removed.  The BAD news: the office is still processing the July renewals/applications and I won't have mine for about a month.  Meaning I won't be able to work for a month because of a mistake that was made by THEM and wasn't cleared up by THEM despite my attempts figure it out!  If you can't tell, this makes me a bit angry.  When the office employee called to tell me they found my fingerprint record I asked if they would please expedite my renewal so I could work.  She told me that she can't and I said, "So you're telling me that because of a mistake made, I can't work for a month?"  Her retort, "Well, I thought you'd be happy because we removed the provision."  Yeah, 3 years late doesn't exactly make me "happy."  Anyway, obviously this is a vent and writing helps me to be over it.  I may even delete this later.

On a lighter note, Ty is pushing through 3 molar right now and has been a little cranky/tantrum-y today.  Oh, I guess that's not much of a "lighter note."  Uh...butterflies, rainbows, raindrops on roses, ice cream, frosting and pretzels...there, that's better.  I suppose I can be happy that I'm not working and get to spend more time with my family.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment