Sunday, October 31, 2010

Happy Halloween!

Over this past week I realized how much I love dressing up and (more emphatically) love dressing Ty up!  I'm glad that I finally broke our the ol' sewing machine again and although I procrastinated, finished sewing our costumes.  Russell's was really just gathered together, but that was work, too!  Anyway, we had a fun time going to Russell's class party on Friday night and our ward trunk-or-treat/chili cook-off on Saturday.  Please, enjoy the festivities and appreciate our ridiculous costumes.

I went to a witch party earlier in the week.  Unfortunately, you can't see my purple shoes and patterned tights.
 Here's our lovely Gourlie Circus Sideshow costumes: Russell is the bearded lady, I'm the Strong Man, and Tyzar is the fortune teller!  Ty pretty much only wore his goatee for this picture on account of his drooly chin.
 One little boy (age 2ish) saw Russell and said, "Jesus!"
 How precious!
 Let me break down this costume: wig on clearance at a Halloween store pinned back by loving wife, necklace on loan from said wife, blouse from Salvation Army, dress from Ross, shoes (size 12) from Goodwill, lady lumps are tights from my drawer, and beard allllll natural.
 And my costume: Mustache from Halloween store (I don't know how Russell has face rodents--it was annoying and scratchy), shirt and shoes from Walmart, pants from my drawer, belt from my closet, costume sewed up by yours truly sans pattern, and muscles out of toilet paper and socks--both are being used again.
 Halloween costumes were kind of "opposites" for us.  :)
 At our ward trunk-or-treat in the back of our circus trunk!  Because we didn't feel quite right cross-dressing at a church function, Russell changed his costume to be a sword-swallower/carnie and I'm the strong woman.  Ty is still the Incredible Tyzar.
 Wow--she's really strong!
 Going with our sideshow theme, Tyzar handed out candy with "fortunes" attached.  (I think this is a product of a mom who has a lot of brain time to come up with cheesy things like this.)
 AND (last but definitely not least) Tyzar's costume: vest made from a pillow sham, feather from JoAnn's, turban (which looked a little better in person than in pictures) very un-authentically made, onesie from his drawer, MC Hammer pants and sash sewed up sans pattern.  I'm pretty sure they'll be put into his regular pants rotation.
All together, a lovely Halloween.  We didn't end up carving pumpkins, which just means that the pumpkin sitting on our porch is now a Thanksgiving decoration.   The biggest problem I have now is figuring our where/when we're wearing our costumes again! 

3 comments:

  1. I'd say you've got quite a talent at finding the most random things and making amazing costumes of them. You guys look great. Russell really did look like Jesus.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! You have to be comfortable with your masculinity to wear heels and a dress. Way to go Russell! :) I love your costumes, and little Tyzar is cute!

    ReplyDelete