Sunday, October 17, 2010

Motherhood Bits

First of all, I watched a documentary thing on Netflix about 4 babies in different parts of the world from birth to about 18 months. They ranged from every-toy-and-baby-item needed in Japan to having virtually nothing in Namibia. It was kind of boring and there was no talking, but I think I kept watching it waiting for cute stuff to happen. (It occasionally did.) It did make me think, too, so I guess that's good. Here's the conclusion that I drew from it: your baby will be fine. If you lay your baby bare-bellied in the dirt and let her eat rocks and dirt, she can still grow up healthy. If you wipe your baby's bottom on your knee and then scrub off your knee with dirt and a corn cob, you will still be fine. If your baby is bathing with a big ol' goat drinking from its bathwater, the goat will be fine. Anyway, I'm not a germ-a-phobe and I'm not a big time freaker-outer, but I do worry sometimes about Ty's health and so on. If a baby in Namibia, Africa is alive and healthy and happy playing with rocks and sand, I'm sure Ty can be just the same. This leads me to say I feel confident in my decision not to wash all of his baby clothes before he wears them. Call me a bad mom, but the baby in Namibia wore a loincloth that was probably never ever washed, and I do at least wash Ty's clothes after they're worn. There.

Second, I had an interview on Friday to be a substitute teacher in the Clark County School District so that I can sub on Fridays when Russell doesn't have class to bring in a bit o' bacon. I dressed up in my distantly familiar "teacher clothes" and was gone for about an hour. When I came back I strangely felt like I was coming back from work. I felt very inappropriately dressed for caring for a baby and am glad that this is not a daily occurrence. (Wow--it took me a while to figure out how to spell occurrence!) I do enjoy/miss teaching in a classroom, but am SO glad to be home with Ty. I'm grateful that I can be and that I have a supportive husband who doesn't expect me to work while he's in school. I realize that there are different situations for everyone and some moms do work for whatever reason, but I'm happy with my choice and opportunity to stay home.

Third, I am forever dropping things on my baby. Wait--that sounds violent! I mean that sometimes I eat while nursing Ty and I find bread crumbs, raisins, etc. that I drop on him. I'll also rub my eye and my eyelashes land on him. Oops! I guess I should be more careful.

Last, but not least, we were playing on my lap some last night and Ty was laughing a little. It's his new trick!

2 comments:

  1. I totally agree. Plus, I figure exposure to germs just helps build the immune system. Ellie's only been sick twice in 15 months, including through a move to the other side of the world, so I figure I'm doing fine not to sanitize everything she touches, and it's okay if she eats noodles off the floor that she dropped earlier.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha Ashley can spread the germ love! ;) And I'm glad you got an interview to sub, I tried to apply about two or three months ago and they had closed the applications. I guess they opened it back up? Oh well. I already found something else anyway. :)

    ReplyDelete